Monday, December 08, 2008

Our Weekend

It's not like we have a thrill-a-minute life, so don't ask me why I'm posting about our weekend, other than I find myself up earlier than usual, and I managed to take a few pictures this weekend and don't know what to do with them, so I'll share them here with the three people who actually read my drivel.

Friday night, we went to my neice's 8th birthday party at Going Bonkers. Fun was had by all, but no pictures to prove it. You can go down a few posts to the one about Jenna's birthday to get an idea of how it went since J had her party there too.

Saturday morning was fine and fair, so David decided to play barber and give M and G a haircut. (One of our new plans to cut back on expenses.) We (me and the boys) were all amazed at how well they turned out! Luckily, Daddy has practiced a couple of times on one of his firemen buddies.

Saturday night we decided on the spur of the moment to go to a live nativity in a nearby town that we had heard about. Note to self, next year, don't go on Saturday night. We waited for close to an hour and a half, but it wasn't so bad because after a half hour, you made it far enough up the line that you got to go into the sanctuary and could sit and watch the entertainment which was, amazingly enough, actually entertaining.

Then the walking tour began. We were all given passports that we had to keep at the ready at all times because Roman soldiers on horseback would charge up and demand to see them. We walked through the grounds and passed the Three Wise Men on their journey to follow the star, we met some shepherds at their campfire and were amazed by an angel appearing with a heavenly message. We were attacked by robbers on our journey to Bethlehem, but the Roman soldiers saved us just in time. When we got to Bethlehem, we were counted in the census and our passports were stamped. Then we got to explore the Bethlehem marketplace and finally saw baby Jesus in a stable on the outskirts of town. It was an amazing production (and totally free!) and something the kids and I are still talking about. We will definitly do this again next year. Call if you want to come with us!

Checking out the Wise Men's camels.

Jenna clutching her passport. Need to get that girl some red mittens!

The amazing Bethlehem marketplace.

The Unibomber, aka Cole, petting a mini goat.

The star of the show.

Sunday was church, a heartbreaking Cowboy game, and thankfully, a quiet evening at home. There was an old Mr. Bean movie on T.V. that we had never seen, so we DVR'd it (so we could skip the commercials) and made popcorn.

What is so funny you ask?

Why making popcorn in a Stir Crazy popper! Seriously. The kids were all lined up in eager expectation and cracking up at the popping crazyness. They were amazed to find out that in our pre-microwave youth, this is how we always made popcorn. Hilarious! Wait til I tell them about turning the knob (click, click, click) on the T.V. to change the channel.

4 comments:

WendyLou said...

LOVE the popcorn maker!! We DVR'd the same Mr. Bean movie. We've watched it at least three times since this weekend. You can imagine how hard Randy laughs at that stupid movie!! That nativity looks a-mazing!! Thanks for sharing your weekend with us. (And I need to know your secret for getting up early. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

I actually do read your blog....it is the only way I can keep up with you! We need to get together soon before the holidays zoom right by us. We would love to go with y'all next year to the live Nativity. That looked really awesome!! :)

Amy McCrary said...

Hey I read your blog too! Ya'll have all the fun! Can't believe the popper entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog Julia! I think it would be so much fun to do one but I could never make our life so interesting!! Plus, I'm a terrible picture taker!! Where did you go to see that awesome nativity?? Looks like something I'd like to add as another annual tradition!!